Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 06:16:21 -0800
Dear Hans,

Thank you so much  for this.

What herbs do you use?

My friend who is from Michoacan, Mexico, said that "everyone" dries raw
meat, they hang it outside in the sun for about 3 days, I think she said,
and they season it with lemon and salt.

Does anyone know any more? I will see her tomorrow and try to get more details.

BTW, if I dry some venison jerky, would it last for a couple of days? I am
desperately looking for a travel food for my son. I am thinking of trying
the lemon/salt she mentioned. Also, am going to try Hans recipe with ground
meat. My only problem with ground meat is sometimes it gets too brittle and
I have found at least that turkey meat (ground) is hard to grind up in my
food processor. Also, even if I did not grind it up, it got too brittle to
even eat as jerky, it was more like steel when it was done. Maybe I dried it
too long? Hans, how many hours do you dry your ground meat?

Can you buy ground venison? I have not seen it here.

Does drying the venison preserve it even without any salt or mixing it with
rendered fat?(like pemmican) Apparently does, in your case, if it lasts for
a month with no salt or other preservative. That's great!

Moira

One other "travel"  food I have found for people who are sensitive to beef,
or who are not crazy about pemmican, is canned fish like salmon, it is very
tasty.

Finally, is horsemeat available here in the USA for people not dogs! I heard
people in Europe love it. Hans, do you have horsemeat over there? I saw it
for sale in France, for example.

Can you get ground game over there in Europe? Or do you take it in and ask
them to grind it?