From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 22:31:03 -0500
On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Mary wrote:

> Don, should I get my coconut oil at the local Asian market? I did find some
> in the Whole Foods store in the skin sections. And, the clerk tried to talk
> me out of it, telling me how "bad" fats are for us, and why would I want to
> eat it, as it is a fat!Talk about carb propaganda. Anyway, does anyone know
> of any coconut oils or brands  we should NOT buy? Can I use this coconut oil
> that is really marketed for skin?

I'll bet you bought the Spectrum product.  I think Whole Foods
owns Fresh Fields, where I bought mine.  Anyway, the Spectrum
coconut oil should be just fine.  It should be pure oil, with no
additives, perfumes, etc.  If anything else were in there, it
would have to have it on the label, since people can have
reactions to things that they rub on their skin.  I just bought
the stuff and didn't discuss with the clerk what I was going to
do with it.  The fact that it is "marketed for skin" means
nothing but the fact that Spectrum would like to be able to
continue to sell the stuff, one way or the other.

Hain used to have coconut oil, but discontinued it as the bad
news about saturated fats came out.

Todd Moody