Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 13:49:34 -0800
Moira wrote:

> Rather than World Medicine, how about individual responsibility for our own
> health?
>
> The custom here used to be to "trust" your physician.
>
> Now, people are more aware and taking more responsibility for their own health.
>
> Like you say, food is the best medicine, esp Neanderthin.

Moira, you make a very good point.  I was greatly influenced many years
ago by a book called Own Your Own Body by Stan Malstrom (probably not in
print).  I've had to work with standard physicians due to having a
diabetic daughter (for my learning experience and hers too).  I kind of
do a raw food vegetarian paleo diet with Chinese food theory (very
similar to Ayurvedic food theory) thrown in plus some cheating on all
accounts!  I just keep a totally open mind with regards to the meat, and
if my children want to eat it I let them.

When I hit high stress and the "change of life" I started having
problems such as my hair falling out and brain problems.  My docs (have
a big HMO) did not have a clue what was going on with me besides the
hormonal stuff, and one said that western medicine was not going to help
me.  I got thrown towards Chinese medicine.  I got the world medicine
idea from an interesting book called World Medicine by Tom Monte.  If I
had to rely on doctors for my wellbeing I would be in deep doo-doo.  You
and I know if we really want to help our children towards wholeness we
have to make most of the trip ourselves, and helping them attain their
potential is there if we press upward and onward (whew!) seeking out
what seems best to us along the way.  St. John's University has been a
big boon to me these last several months.

Mary J.