Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 17:51:39 -0700
Jean-Louis wrote:

> ...And for me, the "safe" side is still to eat 100% raw. Which doesn't mean I
> won't one day venture outside. But having a diet consisting mostly of meat and
> fruits doesn't really satisfies me. Fruits or meat don't replace vegetables.

Usually, lack of satisfaction means there is a proportional lack of fat
in the diet.  I was at my wit's end until trying the almond butter on
chicharrones (fried pork skins) at Ray Audette's house about 3 weeks
ago.  Now I grind raw almonds and/or pecans (walnuts have tended to be
too bitter) and either put them on chicharrones or just eat the powder
as is, or with a little bit of dates or raisins or dates ground in -
beats any candy cravings one would have (if you remember from "The New
Kid on the Block", I have no teeth for grinding - great for gumming
hides to make them softer, but not for acting like a cow and chewing the
cud).  The proportion I use is 1/2-1 cup of nuts to 1 tbsp or so of
dried fruits.
   We are having a deuce of a time finding cow fats to make pemmican
with.  One supermarket here uses all its trimmings in its hamburgers &
other ground meat products & won't even consider selling the product as
a separate item.  Don't even try to get cow fat at the local meat market
- especially during (deer) hunting season.
   Speaking of hunting, emus are being let go to fend for themselves and
apparently becoming a nuisance.  I understand emu hunting has an open
season, rather than a limited season, at least in parts of Texas.

Mary Anne Unger
The racing penguin from Corsicana, Texas (see you at the 5K at the White
Rock Half Rock Marathon event in Dallas on 11/1)