From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 08:15:43 -0400
Newsgroup: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 13:46:57 -0400
From: Sharon <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Insects, why not eat them?

Offered for the grand consideration of r.f.c.

A few months back there was a thread about eating insects.  I was going
crazy because I knew my dad brought me a book about that subject from
one of his trips to London.  Couldn't locate the book at the time, but
after a cleaning out of things for a garage sale yesterday, I came
across it.  _Why Not Eat Insects?_ Vincent M. Holt, originally printed
in 1885, but reprinted in 1988 with an introduction by Laurence Mound,
Keeper of Entomology British Museum (Natural History).

I just want to post the menus.

Menu I

Slug Soup
Boiled Cod with Snail Sauce
Wasp Grubs fried in the Comb
Moths sautés in butter
Braised Beef with Caterpillars
New Carrots with Wire worm Sauce
Gooseberry Cream with Saw flies
Deviled Chafer Grubs
Stag Beetle Larvae on Toast

<gag-gulp>

Menu II

Snail Soup
Fried soles, with Wood louse Sauce
Curried Cockchafers
Fricassee of Chicken with Chrysalides
Boiled neck of Mutton with Wire worm Sauce
Ducklings with Green Peas
Cauliflower garnished with Caterpillars
Moths on Toast

Phew, glad we don't have to eat like this.  I'd starve.

Sharon