From:
Muriel Hykes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 22:21:33 -0400
At 08:17 AM 8/1/97 -0700, you wrote:
>now a MYTH -- A woman should get extra calcium during pregnancy and in
>the breastfeeding months to avoid osteoporosis later in life.

        Ihave been wondering aobut this a long time.  I became unable to take
calcium during my first pregnancy.  It makes me realllllly sick.  Yet my
weight is so high and I don't look it.  I wonder if breastfeeding actually
stimulates bone mass increase.  (I tell people I have a black hole in my
center.)  But the "common wisdom" about calcium makes me wonder if all
these pregnancies and breast feeding has leeched my bones.  (I did affect
my teeth with each preg.)   It just doesn't seem that nature, god, godess,
whatever would penalize women for doing something as natural as bf.
(That's how I got my honorary degree in motherhood, I have spent 7 years
breast feeding.)

>"British women are more likely to get osteoporosis than the Gambians
>later in life."

        The British are so small boned and inclined to osteoporosis, I would like
to see this comparison to another group.