From:
Secola/Nieft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 16:04:45 -0600
>Secola/Nieft <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>I am probably as skeptical of supplements as you are, but selling books
>>(like Neanderthin) via a mailing list may not be all that much different,
>>eh?

Don:
>I agree that Roy's and Troy's signatures are getting tiring to see, but the
>charter of this list starts out:
>
>This is a SUPPORT list for those interested in a Paleolithic Style Diet
>such as described in "NEANDERTHIN" by Ray Audette.
>
>And Grant has reiterated this with his comments that this book is
>considered the list's FAQ.

Of course, you are right. And I don't mind anyone's sigs in the least.

While I admit I had/have started to skim over Mr. Getty's repeated writing
about fiber myself, I remain interested in the reactions to his fiber
contentions, none of which seem out of line to me as hypotheses. If it
turns out that he is just another spammer, then so be it, but in his role
as something of a spoiler on this list I feel he has done it a service.

Preaching to the choir has limited value to me, but a free exchange of
ideas and queries is often very useful. There remain unanswered questions
on this list about the consequences some are experiencing as a result of
their paleo-diets--from an explanation of rising cholesteral levels to the
absence of much of a reply about bad breath during ketosis. While ketosis
research utilizing dairy and veg-oils can properly be dismissed as
irrelevent to Neanderthin, what about Mr. Moody's cholesteral levels??? And
what if a fiber supplement was found useful in such a case? Would the
purists admit it? This is all just conjecture, but I do wonder at times
just how in-bred Neaderthin may become if we all don't keep an open ear to
experience--even if it doesn't match the theory or ideology.

While Neanderthin gives this list a practical "center" it is far from the
only paleo-diet out there, and likely never will be, when the research base
(as evident on the symposium list) is so scattered and imprecise. But as
long as folks consider that anyone eating a "proper" paleo-diet
(Neanderthin, for instance) will automatically get the results which the
proponents do, growth in the usefulness, acceptance, and/or popularity of
such a diet will probably be limited. There is something important to be
learned from counter-examples...

Cheers,
Kirt

Kirt Nieft / Melisa Secola