NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Twogood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 06:00:23 -0700
Tammy Glaser wrote:

> ....Please correct me if I'm wrong in my information, but I have a problem
> understanding why doctors make this recommendation [tums].  First, antacids
> normally contain aluminum which is an antagonist of calcium, meaning they
> tend to block each other.  Second, calcium needs stomach acid in order to be
> digested and absorbed so how is that going to happen if the acid is being
> controlled?  In fact, the sign of a good calcium supplement is one that has
> a little bit of HCl in it!  More importantly, if one has digestive distress,
> rather than masking the symptoms, why don't people looking further into the
> reasons for it--lactose intolerance, food allergies, lack of digestive
> enzymes, floral imbalance, etc.  I hate to sound snotty here, but are
> doctors really that lacking in nutritional and biochemical knowledge??
>
>Yes. Through their training they are firmly entrenched in the belief that popping some sort of pill is the treatment of choice--if not pharmaceuticals then OTC drugs, or maybe vitamins if they fancy themselves holistic.

Personally, I'm not a supplement fan. The vitamin industry has tried to
convince us that they have analyzed natural foods, and they have
determined which of the thousands of ingredients in food are essential
for health--then they capsulize them with a lot of man made ingredients,
and tell us that these capsules are essential for our health.

Sorry, I don't buy it. It is whole, natural foods that nourish us and
strengthen our immune systems. It is man made foods and chemical
substances that cause disease (and unnatural foods like milk from
another beast).

Of course, the next argument by companies that need to sell products is
that our soil is so depleted that natural foods don't contain the
nutritional quality necessary for good health.

Maybe that's true, but many who argue that point are eating
cheeseburgers, popping tums and man made vitamins and drugs. I still
support the use of fruits and vegetables and rice and beans as the
supplements of choice. I'll take God's depleted foods over man's any
day.

Daniel A. Twogood, D.C.

Daniel A. Twogood, D.C.