NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Twogood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 07:54:08 -0700
Darla E Straka said:
> .....Ok, so now how do you diagnose casein intolerance?

Eliminate all sources of casein and compile a diet diary. Look for
improvement and take note of what is ingested before symptoms.

 The symptoms you listed in the first paragraph of this post all pertain
> to me at various times except I don't know what crepitus is?

Fancy name for cracking amd popping in the joints. I mention it because
it is an indicator of milk allergy, and ALMOST ALWAYS (good stat, huh?)
goes away in 2 to 3 weeks after eliminating all dairy foods. It can
happen in any or all joints, especially the neck. It is common for milk
sensitive to crack their necks (and they're usually darn proud of it,
too), or describe neck noises as grinding or sand paper like.

I also
> have another symptom that I have been trying to get diagnosed for over
> four years.  I have a chronic sore throat that nothing seems to make
> it better.  I even had my tonsils out in November of 1993 (I was 50
> years old at the time) to try to eliminate the sore throat.  It didn't
> help.  Periodically the sore throat will get real severe and I will
> feel like I have a thick mucous plug caught in my throat.  I will hack
> and hack until I can hack the thing up and it will be a yellowish-
> green gob of mucous.  Once I get rid of it, the severity of the sore
> throat lessens but never completely goes away.  I have had that mucous
> tested for the possibility of it being strep throat and it always comes
> back as "no sign of infection".  This has been done by an ENT. What
> kind of tests need to be done to identify the cause of this sore throat?
> This is why I suspect casein intolerance, too.  Eliminating gluten has
> helped my digestive problems tremendously, now I want something to
> help my throat and excess mucous problems.  If I could eliminate all
> the other symptoms you mentioned in the first paragraph I would feel
> like a new person.  I just attributed all of the other symptoms as
> being old age and being out of shape.

Sounds like dairy to me.

> Where do you practice medicine?  I live in Albuquerque, NM.

I am a chiropractor practicing in Barstow, CA.