NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:09:53 -0500
At 12:14 PM 6/16/97 +0200, you wrote:
>Does anybody have a good recipe for dairy free cheesecake?

Denise,

The real "secret" to substitutions is to NOT eat anything close to a
substitution product until you have been dairy free and (cheese, milk or
what ever) craving free for long enough to have learned to get by without
the product(s) in your life comfortably.  I HATED soy substitutes and other
"mock" items for the first whole year of being dairy-free.  I gave up on
them completely for the entire second year and learned to enjoy new foods
and new flavors rather than try to duplicate old "comfort" ones.  Then
beginning in the third year, I discovered I LOVE the soy substitutes! (I
really hated Soymage casein-free parmesan cheese and now I use it to make a
cheese potato bake that I ADORE!) Seems our taste buds need to "forget" a
little bit before the substitutions taste good.  Nothing will ever taste
exactly like dairy, because none of the substitutions are dairy...but it is
easier to like (even love or crave) the substitutions after a greater length
of time going without dairy.

Dawn