NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 17:40:41 -0500
Dear Friends,

My wife and three daughters came home to a Tex-Mex bouquet in our house
and attacked tonight's dinner like Pavlovian dogs.  After they finished
I informed them that it was not beef at all.

I found the barbecue-beef soy grits in the health food store.
Totally organic and VEGAN!

Here's my recipe:

INGREDIENTS

1 medium red onion
1 medium yellow onion
three cloves of garlic
two tablespoons of olive oil
1 can of tomatoes
two cups of water
1 cup of bar-b-cue soy grits

I   Chop or mince the onions and garlic and sautee in olive
    oil until transluscent
II  add the water, chopped tomatoes and soy grits and simmer
    until most of the liquid is absorbed.  You'll have a nice gravy.
III Serve on top of rice.

HERE IS THE CALCIUM CONNECTION

Many grains are rich in calcium.  One of my favorite grains is very
tiny...AMARANTH.

When a recipe calls for a cup of rice, use 3/4 cups of rice and 1/4 cup
of amaranth.  This tiny grain was a staple of the Aztecs and Incas and
is loaded with calcium.  A 100 gram portion of human breast milk has 33
mg. of calcium while a 100 gram portion of amaranth has 267 mg of
calcium!

Bon Apetit!

Robert Cohen
Oradell, NJ