NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anne Washburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 06:20:36 -0500
You are correct, and I should have been more precise. I will quote here
from "The Vegetarian Way," by the Messinas (both respected food
scientists, she is a Registered Dietician and he is a PhD in nutrition):

At pp.80-81:

The myth that has died hardest is the idea that we need to eat plant foods
in certain combinations at each meal to get adequate
protein...Unfortunately, she [Lappe] made one mistake at the time that
stuck in the consciousness of many vegetarians. She taught that in order
to achieve adequate protein intake from plant foods, one had to eat them
in certain combinations....It turns out that any legume pairs up perfectly
with any grain or nut or seed to make a complete protein...Where [Lappe]
went wrong was in her carefully spelled out rules for combining foods in
precise amounts at each meal...In the tenth-anniversary edition to her
book she corrected earlier ideas about protein combining when she said,'In
combatting the myth that meat is the only way to get high-quality protein,
I reinforced another myth. I gave the impression that in order to get
enough protein without meat, considerable care was needed in choosing
foods. Actually it is much easier than I thought.'...[C]omplementary plant
proteins don't need to be consumed at the same meal."