NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
RoseBoccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 17:26:09 EST
Debbie:

I attended the FAN Conference last year in Baltimore (I live in South Florida)
and would highly recommend it.
I was pleasantly surprised by the number of people attending, and particularly
by the number of couples. Many were there to learn more about the allergies
and issues that affect their food-allergic children. And there was plenty of
networking and support going on between parents from all over the country!

The doctors and FAN staffers and volunteers who offered presentations spoke to
us in the audience as intelligent people -- no patronizing. Research
(including the research on vaccinations for food allergies) and legal issues
(such as how the American Disabilities Act related to food allergic children
in day care and school) were discussed as well as medical issues, such as when
and how often to use an Epi-pen or Epi-pen Jr.

Everyone I met had pointers and compassion for our situation (my son has
anaphylactic allergy to milk). I discovered so many others had children
severly allergic to more than one food, which made me feel lucky ours is just
milk! And for the first (and only) time since we discovered Corey's allergy, I
didn't feel odd or out of place. We laughed about our attempts to "create"
milk-free dishes -- and the sometimes hilarious results.

For me, it was well worth the air fare and hotel room!
I would go again this year, but we've got too many family obligations in April
and May. I do recommend it, especially if you've never gone!

Rose