NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Carper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 23:20:05 -0500
Donald J. Marcott wrote:
>We are only able to buy 99% lactose free milk at the food stores I
frequent in Toronto.
I've seen US ads for 100% free so I expect they will come.<

Maybe, maybe not.  I suspect that the two milks are really exactly the
same.
The US milks are actually 99.5+% lactose-free, mostly because it is just
not
possible to be certain that every last atom of lactose has been removed by
lactase.
They allowed to call themselves 100% lactose free because of the strange
way
state laws interact with federal laws in the U.S. with regards to liquid
milk products.
 I haven't researched the Canadian food laws as I have the U.S. ones so I
can't
 confirm that your milk is the same, but for all practical purposes
the difference is meaningless, at the level of milligrams of lactose per
carton.
This should make no difference even to severely LI individuals and
 of course none whatsoever to those who are milk allergic
or cannot have milk for other reasons.

Steve Carper
Steve Carper's Lactose Intolerance Clearinghouse
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper