NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 19:49:56 -0800
As a mom of a 6 mo old nursing baby with reactions to dairy (and with a
2 1/2 yo allergic to most everything), I can tell you that from my experience
and from what I have read here and on the Eczema list, cradle cap is closely
associated with allergies (perhaps there are babies who have this who are
not allergic, but I wonder if there are babies who are allergic who do not
have cradle cap?)  My 6 mo old reacts within about 6-24 hours if I ingest any
dairy (eczema comes up on her ear, one tiny patch on cheek); this goes away
within 24 more hrs.  She is getting less reactive as time goes on (I am hoping
this is a sign her intestines are maturing and when I do accidentally get a
wee bit of dairy she will not react at all in future, although I will never
feed her milk). Regarding the antibiotic, reaction is common to both the
drug and from what I have been told to the coloring in the liquid (was it
pink?)  My son had this same reaction but I guess it's hard to say if it's
the drug or something in the drug.  Are you sure lactose or some dairy compo-
nent was not involved?  What exactly is a "reaction to the cradle cap?" The
cradle cap is already a reaction isn't it?  Sounds like the MD is a non-
believer in allergies in general-- if you already have 2 kids allergic to
these drugs, I would trust your own instincts with this and just list that
drug as 'off-limits' as far as you're concerned.  I just switched to a pediatri-c
ian who doesn't make me feel like a paranoid, hyperreactive parent for taking
great care with both my children in terms of reactions to medicine, immuniza-
tion and food (the first is allergic to all grains, nuts, legumes, dairy,
soy, egg, and more).  It makes all the difference to be supported by the
doctor and not pooh-poohed.
Good luck with your bunch,
Susan.