NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Helen Fernety <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:54:01 -0500
>so what does this mean?  that it now contains dairy, or that it's just no
>longer classified as pareve kosher? --- Zen

Good Question. But I posted it for another reason which is false packaging.

>>We also caution that this line of cheeses was still marked as pareve kosher
>>after the certification was pulled per our kashrus source*. The following
>>cheeses in this line can no longer officially carry the OU parve symbol and
>>we advise shouldn't be eaten by persons that require dairy-free diets
.
Again, companies need to earn our health safety trust. That this company as
printed a un-authorized OU parve symbol make me untrusting of them. Haagen
Daz is a good example. They are presently "hurting" beacuse their sorbets
now have a circle u - d on the packaging. And Ben & Jerry's sorbet has it
too. But I trust these 2 companies more now beacuse they have added this
detailed information that helps customers like many of us. They could have
simply not requested kosher supervision on these products and continued to
profit from many of us buying these sorbets.

Helen

>>SOYMAGE Loses Kosher Pareve Certification - 2/98
>>
>>Galaxy Foods Soymage line is marketed as completely dairy free, contains no
>>animal fats and no casein and is the world's largest line of pareve kosher
>>cheese products. But due to discrepancies in the production process this
>>line of dairy-free cheeses has lost it's kosher status from the Orthodox
>>Union. Pareve is the Kosher status given foods that are certified as dairy
>>free under strict kosher laws. Because if this problem we cannot recommend
>>any soymage products until Galaxy Foods regains it's Kosher pareve
>>certification again.
>>
>>We also caution that this line of cheeses was still marked as pareve kosher
>>after the certification was pulled per our kashrus source*. The following
>>cheeses in this line can no longer officially carry the OU parve symbol and
>>we
>>advise shouldn't be eaten by persons that require dairy-free diets.
>>
>>*Source: Kashrut.com received the above kashrus alert information by fax
>>from the Orthodox Union on September 22, 1997 and again on January 22, 1998.

Non-Dairy: Something to Moo About, Inc.
A support & informational monthly web source for families dealing with
dairy free diets for medical  reasons.
http://non-dairy.org
10425 S.W. 114 Court, Miami, FL 33176 USA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
ICQ#: 6113526
Phone: 1-305-598-0374   FAX 1-305-598-5476