NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Larissa Blechman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 15:45:30 -0500
I've found that it gets easier in a way ånd then it gets harder again.
Grade school is a constant challenge, parties, other kids at lunch,
teachers treats, visiting guests who hand out treats.  Every day seems
like a challenge and food is everywhere and everything seems to have
milk and in our case gluten is off limits as well.  People never seem to
think or realize that you can reward kids for behavior, grades whatever
with something other than food.  But sweets are cheap and kids like the
folks that give them treats.  I am on a constant crusade to educate
people about appropriate rewards for kids.  They (schools) give free
pizza certificates now for reading a book(from Pizza Hut) my son trades
them in for one at home but it still creates an issue that I really
resent having to deal with. The ballet teacher gives hershey kisses and
your kid cries because she can't have it.  These are constant
opportunities to educate people but it ain't easy! There are parties at
school and synagogue where you end up having to take food from home to
and while it works it is a pain and your kids resent being different as
they age.

The challenges just change and they are just that, challenges and the
more of us that are out there talking about this the easier it will be
for those of us with allergies and for the kids with allergies.

Larissa Blechman