NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:12:27 -0700
:
: The problem is the babies
: who are allowed to walk around with their snacks and drinks.  They tend
: to drop peices or discard their milk cups on the floor.  I have to be
: ever vigilant about Alyssa not grazing off of the floor anywhere or
: taking something from another child.

Kathy -  This age was when most of my Alyssa's accidental exposures occurred.
It's really hard to keep track of crumbs and cups and drips from other toddlers.
Some kids would be drinking their bottle sitting on a pillow, drop it to go
off and play, and Alyssa would head straight for it!  Or the cup would drip,
and Alyssa would play and get milk on her hands, which went straight to the
mouth.  The only thing to do is be ever watchful, try and limit the areas
where the kids are allowed to have foods, and wait for them to get older!

Alyssa's reactions to milk are not life threatening (no peanut anything was allowed),
so the exposures were uncomfortable, distressing and a bit scary, but OK in
the big picture.  If your daughter's reaction is anaphylactic, I'd change
to a smaller playgroup where food can be controlled better!

Good luck - it all changes so quickly - soon you'll be worried about sending
her to kindergarten with her EpiPen!

Laurie