NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barbara Pollack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 15:07:50 -0500
At 08:50 AM 3/9/98 -0800, Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I still miss REAL butter, but live with margarine for the time being.

  For me, it's an easier
>adjustment to "change" a dish than to try to find a substitute that will
>make it "just the same".  In other words, now I'm expecting a different
>taste and am not as dissapointed when the butter flavor is not there.

Permit a lurker (I'll introduce myself later) to make a suggestion.

If you want a change that is delicious, try schmaltz--rendered chicken fat.

Animal fats have gotten a bad rep but this one has lots of monounsaturated
fat so it's not in the same category as suet or lard.  It gives a wonderful
flavor.  Many dishes that are traditionally made with butter have been
adapted for kosher meat meals by substituting schmaltz.  The results are
often much more delightful than butter.

Barbara Pollack