NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 10:20:33 -0500
Carry-on food is the preferable and the only safe alternative to risking
allergic reactions. Medical care can be a long time away if you're between
airports and at 30,000 feet. And sometimes an Epipen alone is not enough
intervention.

That said, carry-on is not always convenient, especially on business trips
or trips to places where "safe" foods are not easily accessible. But
convenience is a far lower priority than safety; important enough to alter,
lengthen, or even cancel a trip.

We try to make our son Josh's food allergies less of a daily limitation,
giving him special foods when other people are eating special foods that he
can't have. Unfortunately, the special part of airline food to a child is
not the food per se, but the whole experience of being served something new
and different on a tray served by a flight attendant. Just getting one of
his regular meals while seeing his brothers get served special fare is a
real frustration and a deep disappointment for him. It would be wonderful
if we could order a reliably safe meal for him and have it served up at
30,000 feet. :-(

Mark

Mark Feblowitz