NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 15:09:18 -0500
Same crap we had to put up with! "No, it can't be due to the antibiotic -
it's not the classic hives reaction." Clueless! Sheesh!

To this day, we're not sure what in the suspensions triggered Josh's
reactions. Very itchy, followed by severe E outbreaks. They weren't the
classic antibiotic reactions, and we were able to find forms that he could
tolerate. One of his docs suspected the sorbitol. We're pretty sure she was
right.

We eventually got Josh onto chewable Augmentin, which he tolerated just
fine. He can also tolerate most of the pills, as long as they aren't
buffered in lactose.

That's when we started giving him his pills in either baby-food sweet
potatoes or in applesauce. We bury the pill, he swallows it whole,
followied be a glass of something to drink. Now that he's eleven, he still
takes them that way.

Don't listen to these nitwits who don't have a clue. If the evidence is
there, find somebody who'll respect your observation enough to help you
find a well-tolerated antibiotic. Then, ask for it by name and insist that
"no substitutions" be written on the scrip.

Good luck

Mark

Mark Feblowitz