NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Helen Fernety <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:57:40 -0400
>At 6:08 PM -0500 9/16/97, DAVID POHLE wrote:
>

><snip>
>
>>Questions lead to answers which lead to questions...but
>>first:  I'm 3/4 German and 1/4 southern Italian with no
>>Jewish background.
>>
>>With regard to the onset of my chronic diarrhea:
>
>>Being lactose intolerant in NYC:
>>
><snip>
>
>>foods and kosher restaurants.  Also, the billions of
>>coffee bars that have sprung up on every other corner
>>in Manhattan never seem to serve Lactaid or non-dairy
>>creamer.  Gone are my days of drinking iced
>>cappuccino at a little table on the street at Cafe
>>Rafaella (if not from NYC, imagine classic urban leisure
>>scene and you get the idea!).  Iced coffee served black
>>just doesn't do.
>

>I also live on the Upper East side, though I'm 4/4ths Jewish.  I've been
>lactose intolerant since about the age of 20.  Lactaid (taken in hefty
>doses) usually does the trick.  But I've noticed that coffee (by itself)
>has a laxative effect.  Good coffee has less, and I can tolerate espresso
>without much problem.  So, it's not the caffeine that's causeing the
>problem, it's something else, perhaps the acidity, though cola drinks, even
>in quantity are not a problem, and they are stringly acidic.
>
>- HH
>

>ps:  I make a point of asking for Lactaid or soy milk at coffee bars, even
>if I know they are unlikely to have it.  Some Starbucks (not the one at
>87th & Lex, though) do stock soy milk.  It's up to the manager's discretion.
>

>pps:  Has anyone tried making ice cream out of Lactaid 100% milk and
>Lactaid-treated cream?  Why don't the lactaid people just go ahead and make
>ice cream?  It would probably be cheaper than soy-based substitutes.

A side bar for coffee lovers,

I noticed the other day in my travels around the Net that Westbrae, the
makers of soy and oat dairy subsitutes, has a product called Cafe Westbrae.
It don't fill the bill for a urban coffee house setting but it may help to
add some creature comforts to your urban home. It's listed as a unique
blend of organic coffee and organic soy beverage. It comes in "Coffee",
"French Vanilla" and "Mocha". I personally cannot wait to make a iced
coffee with it.

See http://www.westbrae.com/cafew.htm for more information.

If any one has tried them I would love to hear your option.

Helen Fernety

Non-Dairy: Something to Moo About, Inc.
Dairy-Free education and support nonprofit organization
Sponsored in part by Yahoo!

10425 SW 114 Ct.
Miami, FL 33176
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 1-305-598-0374   FAX 1-305-598-5476