NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deborah Garner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 21:05:29 -0500
Dear Friends,

I thought you might be interested in what happened when I e-mailed the
home economists at the University of Missouri--Columbia about Missouri
Mix.  I basically thanked them for producing the recipe/mix.  I told them
how it made my life easier as a mother of a milk allergic child.  then I
suggested that they CONSIDER adding an addendum to their recipe at its
next revision explaining how the recipe could be altered for people with
food allergies.  I specifically told them what I used, name of the
product, company name, address, etc.

I was very disappointed with the reply I got.  First of all the woman
accidently e-mailed me a copy of the e-mail she intended to go to her
co-worker.  It essentially said she would send me a "nice letter" that
said thanks but no thanks if her co-worker agreed.  The next day I
received the intended e-mail.  She claimed that because we are simply
parents of milk allergic parents and few in numbers it wasn't worth their
effort to distribute this information.  She also hinted at the fact that
the altered recipe was not valid.

I am going overboard by being upset??  I also said in my e-mail that if
they didn't see fit to publish the information, perhaps they could retain
the information for any milk allergic persons who asked for help in the
future.  I am upset because I found something that worked for me.  I
shared it here and you people were helped too (and happy to get the
information).  To me, this is a fine example about how the rest of the
world needs to be educated about milk and other food allergies.

Thanks for letting me vent!!!!!!! :)

Deborah