NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Wentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 20:08:51 -0500
Jeanine Callag wrote:

> When I was pregnant with my 2nd son I knew from having a highly food allergic
> first son to avoid milk,egg, and peanut.  During pregnancy and nursing I took
> a calcium supplement.  It made my infant son very gassy.

Not all calcium supplements are made alike.  In fact, most have dairy or
limestone in them.  Very little calcium from these sources are actually
used by the body.

Recent research suggests that although nursing mothers do show a 4% bone
mass decrease in their spine during nursing, they increase their bone
mass by 5% when the baby weans.  Calcium supplements are no longer
recommended for nursing mothers by many of the groups doing the
research.  Of course, your doctor may have no clur any research was even
being done on this issue.  :-D

> Finally, when he didn't want to
> nurse anymore at 5 months because he was too busy searching for his older
> brother, the gas went away and so did the ear infections.

Were you already giving him solids at 5 months?

> Nursing seem to
> cause him more of a hindrance then help and I did watch my diet.
>
> I'm tempted with the 3rd not to nurse at all.
> Any response?

I do not beleive that feeding anyone from a chemical plant is a good
idea.  I beleive in whole, organic foods.  Nature provided us with the
means to feed our young perfectly and it has worked for thousands of
years.  I will stick to breastfeeding.  Yes, you do have to watch what
you are eating.  Yes, when a problem such as gassiness or recurrent ear
infections comes along you do need to find out what is causing it by
altering your diet even more.  Yes, I think it is worth it.

--
Kathy Wentz                        unschooler, n. one who never swims
[log in to unmask]                   with the crowd