CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Issodhos @aol.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 22:10:13 EDT
Martin responding to Bill, writes:
>  Well, then guns are also a necessary pre-condition for an effective
>  police state.  So we should get rid of all guns to prevent a police
>  state?

    You're almost right, Martin.  But, to be precise, firearms are a
pre-condition for an effective 'any' state.  For example, a nation-state
needs tax revenue to exist.  If the State did not have firearms, and the will
to use them against me, I would not turn over to them approximately 40
percent of my annual income.  As to "preventing a police state", one cannot
prevent that which already exists.  All nation-states police their
populations to varying degrees.  This is a simple fact and does not require
that one "man the barricades" over it.
<snip>

>  One gun is a tool.  You can only shoot one gun at a time.  Ten guns is
>  an armory.  If you need a different type of gun for each task, fine.
>  How many are there?  Hunting, target shooting, self-defence (if your
>  worries about a police state lead you to believe police do not deter
>  crime), and service in the militia.  That's four.  Any others?

<snip>

This would be a fun topic but suffice it to say that each category you
describe would require a number of different firearms simply because
different calibers are best suited for different tasks.  For example, a 6mm
PPC cartridge is possibly the most accurate centerfire cartridge available in
the intermittent range of target shooting.  However, target shooting at 1000
meters requires something in the .30 caliber area (300 Weatherby Magnum is
nice.  Oops! there's that nasty word.:-)), while 50 to 100 meter targets are
most fun with a .22 rimfire cartidge, and a .22-250 or a .222 caliber
cartridge is exceedingly accurate out to approximately 350 meters depending
on the bullet configuraton and rate of powerburn ( Oh yeah, a lot of shooters
get into the physics of it all by loading their own custom cartridges - its a
whole separate hobby in itself).  I have barely touched on target shooting,
and hunting calibers, and thus firearms, are even more diversified.  However,
the real point is that it is none of your business or the State's business
how many firearms one may need or simply want.  As you said, one can only use
one at a time.  As to your assumption that police deter crime, may I point
out that in the case of violent crime police simply show up to clean up the
mess.  In America, they are not even entrusted with the protection of the
citizen, operating under the principle that the citizen has the
responsibility to protect his or herself. (Of course an exception is made for
the elite of a community, don't you know.:-)
Yours,
Issodhos