From:
Wolfson440 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 12:47:30 EST
John:
I saw your post/reply to my "lurking no more" comments and also just read some
suggestions to you from Todd about plateaus.

I think it is important to keep in mind that this diet lifestyle is intended
to provide proper nutrition for our bodies and to maintain equilibrium. But
the concept of how to lose weight still lies in carbohydrate consumption. Even
though we don't consume grains or dairy, paleo foods do contain significant
levels of carbohydrate.

When I first was introduced to low-carb eating, my doctor gave me a list of
foods called the "Green Sheet" which divided all foods into three carbohydrate
categories. (I decided to follow the Atkins version instead) The first
category listed all foods containing 6% or less carbohydrate.

Vegetables: artichokes, asparagus, string beans, beet greens, broccoli,
cabbage, cauliflower, celery, Swiss chard, chickory, chives, collard greens,
cucumbers, dandelion leaves, eggplant, endive, escarole, fennel, garden cress,
garlic, herbs, kale, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, red peppers, green
peppers, pumpkin, radishes, rhubarb, sauerkraut, spinach, summer squash,
tomatoes, turnip greens, watercress, zucchini.

Fruit: Avocado, melons, lemons and limes.

Of course all meats and eggs were listed. No dairy, except butter. No grains.
And a few miscellaneous foods were listed: seeds (pumpkin, sesame, sunflower),
olives, pickles, nuts (no cashews or peanuts), gelatin.

This level is recommended for weight loss with higher carb foods (10% or less)
added later as you near the goal weight. (more veggies and a few more fruits)
And then there is a third category (over 10%) which can be added for those who
can tolerate that level (all veggies, some more fruits) Even then only one
piece of whole grain, stone ground bread is allowed per day and no dairy.

I hope you find this helpful, or at least interesting.

Michelle Wolfson