Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 11:06:51 -0400
On Thu, 1 Oct 1998 10:15:18 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Raw beef liver has over 20mg of vitamin C per 100g.  Chicken liver
>has over 30mg.  This gives some idea of the availability of
>vitamin C from animal sources, if tissues other than muscle meat
>are eaten.
Liver is the storage organ for many vitamins in the body.
Therefore it has excellent vitamin contents - a must to eat
for meatatarians.
Unfortunately it's not very good as vitamin-C supply (and b vitamins)
for another reason:

It has too much of Vitamin-A which is toxic.

300g Liver (times 25mg Vitamin-C) were needed for your daily
vitamin-c need (assumed 75mg RDA).
But that means that you get 42 times too much of Vitamin A.
It might kill you to get your Vitamin-C from liver.

The same problem can occur with the iron in meat generally.
It is absorbed very well but the body has no mechanism to control
iron absorption from meat.
In the desease you mentioned (hemachromatosis) the over-iron can cause
heart and other deseases (You counted it as an adaption to grain-eating
and it's an ill-adaption to large meat amounts as well).

At other places I found mentioned that for men was difficult to
loose iron in any way, since they are not bleeding.
The only way to loose iron (as i recall one NG posting) for men was to
run, because in this way red-blood-cells die in the feet,
and transport a little iron outside.

regards

Amadeus