Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 18:05:01 -0400
Buji Kern (Michael) wrote re the following quote::

> "However, protein cannot be adequately
> >utilized without dietary fats.  That is why protein and fats occur together
> in
> >eggs, milk, fish and meats. . ."
>
> I think this quote falls into a reasoning trap. The reason that proteins are
> found with fats  is that the structure of animal bodies is both protein and
> fat; and animal energy storage is overwhelmungly fat. It has nothing
> whatsoever to do with what humans may or may not be able to utilize.
>
> Michael

Good point!  I guess the adaptive force at work was the evolution of homonid
appetite and hunger drive to favor the optimum nutritional resources.  There is
a good article in Current Anthropolgy, "Dietary Shifts and the European Upper
Palaeolithic Transition," Volume 38 Number 4, August-October 1997 by Susan
Cachel,  which details her hypothesis as to how the availability of dietary fat
relative to protein affected population levels and consequent relaxation of
selection pressures in favor of skeletal robusticity.  I mention this article
because  the central hypothesis is premised upon the physiologic necessity of
maintaining a favorable ratio dietary fat (and/or carbs) to protein in order to
avoid calciuria. She writes, "Dietary carbohydrates are either rare or
seasonally nonexistent in high latitudes, and humans are forced to counter the
effects of maximal protein ingestion with fat.  The complete story of human
subsistence in high latitudes lies in the ease of obtaining, storing, and
transferring lean meat and fat.  Protein may fluctuate but a certain critical
ratio fo fat to protein must be maintained."    In my own paleo diet choices, I
therefore wonder how to balance lean protein consumption, the "right" balance of
fats (favorable relative to omega 3),  and the right types and levels of carbs.
Is the right path to follow periodic blood profiles, monitoring bp, and
attention to energy level.  I sense from my short time on this list that most of
the subscribers are, by definition, very diet and health conscious and, often,
veterans of other prior dietary regimens who follow varying practices  as to
proportion of protein to fat and carbs.   Perhaps the best advice is not to
micromanage but to follow the suggestion in Neanderthin:  "By keeping our diet
as varied as possible, we assure ourselves acquisition of all the necessary
nutrients, vitamins, minerals and fiber we need for proper nutrition and energy
production."  Mr. Audette also makes the point that "..our Paleolithic ancestors
..ate a much greater variety of foods than most modern people."  I think Art De
Vany has also made the point on another list that we need to eat a wide variety
of plant foods to vary our ingestion of the natural toxins plants offer as their
own defenses to predation.
      Finally, a question for EllaLane:  Is the Fallon book actually a paleo
guide?  Rick S.