Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Aaron D. Wieland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 23:03:22 -0500
The main problem with these studies, as I see it, is that they usually
assume that all humans have identical dietary requirements.  Most of the
subscribers to this list, including me, have learned that a high-carb diet
doesn't work for them, and that a high meat consumption improves our health.
Unfortunately, we are part of a (significant) minority which is ignored by
most researchers.  I'm not sure how valid the China study is, but at best,
it only suggests the ideal diet for isolated Chinese villagers.

For more information on inherited metabolic needs, I recommend that you read
the partial draft of Robert McFerran's book on treating arthritis at
http://bcn.net/~stoll/archives/bobsbook.html ; Chapters 10 (part 4), 13
(part 5), and 14 (part 6) are particularly relevant to this discussion.
Robert convinced me that my hypoglycemia indicated an extreme metabolism
which required me to eat a relatively high-protein/fat, low-carb diet
including plenty of purine-rich dark meat.

I realize that this perspective contradicts the dominant view on this list
(i.e., that the Paleothin diet is ideal for everyone), but there are too
many successful "light" dieters for us to assume that a meat-heavy diet is
always appropriate.  Of course, if you depend on nutritionally deficient
food (such as pasta and beer), you'll gradually become ill regardless of
your inherited metabolism.

Cheers,

-- Aaron Wieland