Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mahesh Shah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 14:11:06 -0600
Ref: "Bible stuff"

It may be embarassing to some as to why some people believe in the paleo
diet, but for the sake of truth and honesty we should not censor them.

I do not think it is off-base if that is their reason and justification for
choosing the diet as opposed to some "scientific" belief.
We can still learn from them.

To the extent that the Bible has some historical basis, it is valuable to
understand how previous cultures "thought" and how that thinking is still
affecting our present day reality.

I recently asked author Sally Fallon why her book ( against, according to
the title, "Politically Correct Diets" ) dealt with so many "cooked-food"
recipes considering the recent use of fire in human evolution. She replied
in effect that we were "created" and did not evolve.

I also asked her if the Price-Pottenger study on cats advocated the use of
raw meat as opposed to cooked. She replied that the raw food conclusion was
a mis-interpretation of the Price-Pottenger study.

Sally Fallon, along with co-author Mary Enig have made long posts on the
PALEODIET list, which is reserved for scientific discussions on the
subject. Although their posts on the PALEODIET list were not considered
off-base for that list, it is important to know "where they are coming
from" because a persons religious belief can affect their "scientific"
conclusions. The human mind has a great capacity for "rationalization". It
has been statistically shown that researchers who received funding for a
drug study by a pharmaceutical company tended to come to conclusons in
favor of the drug's approval.

The group that had brought Sally Fallon to town to speak then did some
research and in their next newsletter strongly advocated against the use of
raw animal food because of the danger of parasites.

In conclusion, I think we can learn from the experiences of other
paleo-diet followers, but to learn the most, it is also important to know
them as "whole" persons and not be too quick to censure them.