NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 1997 20:46:27 -0700
Dear subscribers:

I have been reading with interest the postings from such young dairy-allergic
infants' mothers and was curious as to why the MDs have not tested the babies
(RAST) for reactivity to other foods as well as dairy.  My son was never
exposed to dairy through breast milk because I was allergic to milk and never
drank (luckily I now realize).  He nevertheless suffered from mild colic and
obvious digestive upsets, mild eczema all through infancy.  Once he started
eating, everything went full-blown as he took in more and varied food.  We
found out he was allergic to a NUMBER of things and ALL of the common ones-
soy, dairy, eggs, wheat, nuts (all of which, except for dairy, I had ben
eating).

My question is: What is this about an 'age' at which they can do RAST?  My
pediatrician (now realizing the error of her ways after seeing my son improve
drastically upon eliminating the diagnosed foods) is recommending a RAST as
soon as my next baby is born so we know, given the severity of my first child's
allergies, what to avoid (in my diet, as well as the baby's).

We are of course hoping for a non-allergic sibling, but....

Susan.