NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 08:30:27 -0600
7bit
From:
Laurie Carson <[log in to unmask]>

> George Kontos <[log in to unmask]>:
>
> >  I notice that whenever I eat potato salad, I
> >  get symptoms very similar to, but not as severe, as when I ingest milk
>
> The ingredients are:  Water, corn syrup, liquid soybean oil, modified food
> starch, egg whites, vinegar, maltodextrin, salt, natural flavors, gums
> (cellulose gel and gum, xanthan), artificial colors, sodium benzoate and
> calcium disodium EDTA used to protect quality.

George -

"natural flavors" is a common place for dairy to show up.  The only way to
determine for sure is to call the company (or perform a "challenge test" on
yourself!).  I generally avoid anything listing natural flavors, but have
called a few times - and sometimes they have dairy, sometimes not.

Laurie