NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Carrie L. Micko" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:38:30 -0600
Subject: Still Allergic?
She asked:
1) Have any of you witnessed similar mood-altering
reactions?
    Yes, my first daughter would "bing off the
walls" with hyperactivity if she had fresh milk
when she was under 4 years old. Red food dye did
that too. She wasn't as bad with canned milk, so
my deduction was that it was a milk protein
allergy, and the canning process changed the
protein somehow and made it less offending. She
also had many ear infections which I attribute to
the milk consumption, based on other things I've
since read. I finally pulled us all off milk when
she was about 6 due to my own health crisis with
thyroid, and experience with two more babies that
had such breathing reactions due to milk in my
diet that one of them even stopped breathing and
had to have her enlarged adnoids (due to milk
protein sensitivity I later found out) removed at
age 6 months. Of course I didn't know that was the
cause until years later after putting two and two
together after much research. (For more details,
see my introduction in the archives.)
2) When retesting to see if the allery still
exists what food should
you try first?
    Depends on what he might be allergic or
sensitive to. Cheese has a higher concentration of
protein, milk would have lactose. Cheese and
yogurt also have cultures and/or mold, so they may
be a factor also. Commercial yogurt, as has been
mentioned on this list, is not just milk and
culture, so other ingredients need to be
considered as well.