NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Martine Hubaut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:13:51 -0400
<Any one got a diary free recipe for the good ole bread machine that
<they wouldn't mind sharing in time for my humble Thanksgiving feast?

My daughter is very probably allergic to milk and soy allergy, so we are trying to eliminate dairy from her diet. So, I have just got myself a bread machine, as I found out I could not really be sure what got into the preparation of bread. The legislation around ingredients labeling here in Belgium is not at all the same as in the US, I think. Manufacturers can still get away with such things as "bread making improver" or something similar!

In Belgium, the local baker's can still be a good supplier of plain normal bread - which should to my understanding only be flour, yeast and water! - but more and more they add all kinds of stuff like emulsifiers, etc. Of course if you are talking about all the other specialties, then you are in trouble. There is milk and/or butter in them.

So here is a recipe I use for my bread. It tastes great and works very well. In my machine the whole process from start to end of baking takes 3h 20min. You just have to experiment with your own. I have tried to convert the metric measurements into imperial, but you may have to adjust this a little for best results.

7 g (1/4 oz) dried yeast (if using fresh, 11g (3/8 oz))
230 g (8 1/4 oz) white flour
2 tbsp oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
330 g (11 3/4 oz) wholewheat flour
330 ml (11 1/2 floz) water

Have fun. Hope it is not too late for Thanksgiving.

Martine