NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 07:20:11 -0500
7bit
From:
Robert Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
TIMOTHY GORIUP wrote:

I think that it has been made pretty clear in most published articles
that it is critical to pay attention to the calcium intake of women,
young and old.

You are correct.  However, more and more of those articles are financed
by our friends at the National Fluid Milk Processor's Board.  There
is also less publicized science indicating that the calcium in MILK
is poorly absorbed and that PROTEIN (milk being liquid meat) actually
creates a 'NEGATIVE CALCIUM BALANCE')

I know that is a major concern for me with my daughter.  Though citrus =
can be a common allergen, my daughter so far does not react to it.  =
Luckily.

My favorite HIGH CALCIUM food is HUMMUS.  Chick peas and sesame seeds
are loaded with calcium and the taste is wonderful!!!

Any other bread machine no-milk reciepes would be very welcome.

I bake every day and any bread recipe can be used by just eliminating
the milk powder.  The casein in milk powder is a binding agent. (Sugar
is also a binding agent.)  The casein (glue) is totally unnecessary.
You will still bake great bread.  I let the dough rise and then cut it
into 16 or 32 pieces, bake at 325 degrees for about 12 minutes...EASY
ROLLS!

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Robert Cohen