NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kathy Wentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 22:56:27 -0600
Simon Family wrote:

> I just assumed I would be packing his snack/lunch.  This sounds
> like they would try to provide a milk free alternative...I'm thrilled, but I
> also realize I might be being over optomistic.  Whatever...they're taking
> this seriously! Yes!

Carmen,
No offense, but don't count on it.  A classroom teacher is very
different from the health nurse who is different yet from the food
service staff.  You may get one to take you seriously, but I doubt all.
I was a teacher and know all too well how most schools operate in
confusion and denial in regards to allergies.

Last Dec. my youngest had to stay in the hospital for a few days.  They
circled and noted his special diet on all of his trays - but we got a
lot of food that was not acceptable anyway.  This was in a hospital -
and a very good one too!  If I can't even trust a hospital's specially
trained staff to identify safe food I certainly wouldn't trust a
school's staff to.

Plan on packing lunches and snacks and have an extra box of safe food in
the classroom for emergencies/parties.  Please, if you are really
planning to send this child away to school-at least provide him with
safe food for his journey.

--
Kathy Wentz                   I'm not politically incorrect,
[log in to unmask]           I'm euphemistically challenged.