NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:41:01 -0800
> On Sat, 14 Mar 1998 20:18:37 -0500 jpreston <[log in to unmask]>
> writes:
> >Does anyone have any concrete information on the effect of food
> >allergies
> >and/or anaphylaxis on the educational process?  Any gaps in learning?
> >reduced abilities?
> >I would appreciate any help you can give me.  Thanks.

Just anecdotally, I could say that my 2 1/2 year old with many severe
food allergies reacts quite emotionally to being exposed, especially to
corn and colorings (other reactions seem to be more 'physical'-eczema
etc.).  Since he is not in school I can't say how his learning would be,
but I know his attention span dries up to 3 minutes and a tantrum when
he is eating something allergenic.  When all are removed, he has a
sweet and laid back temperament, intense interest in different activites,
can paint for 1/2 hour, watch a whole movie, read 18 books in a row.  When
he was younger and undiagnosed, he was an extremely 'active' child,
walking early at 10 mos. (which I hear is common in allergy kids), but he
didn't talk in sentences until after 20 months.  Now at 30 months, he is a
very sophisticated conversationalist and out-blabs his non-allergic
companions. I believe learning delays etc. are most common in kids who are still being
exposed; same for hyperactivity. Have you read DOris Rapp's book, IS this
your child? I believe it's called--links learning behaviors with food.
Susan, mother of Nicky.