Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 00:48:41 -0500

The following is a list of responses regarding St. John's Wort.  Thank you to
the people who answered my question.

Let me suggest that you find the dried herb in a health food or herb store
-- if you have the dried herb itself, nothing will have been added to it.
You can make a tea out of the herb and drink that, thus avoiding all the
questions of what the pill capsule is made of.

The other alternative is to obtain a source of gelatin capsules which are
gluten free (assume that most of them are), and place dried herbs in them.

I use Schiff brand, guaranteed GF - but have used others and had no problems.
 you need to know that St. John's Wort takes about 6 weeks to deliver
results - it is not like a tranquilizer.  Jean Carper covers all this in her
bood,
Miracle Cures...

I found and researched St. John's Wort Extract 300 mg.  by Solary and found
them to be totally gluten free. I get them at a health food store in
Coralville Iowa. I can order them one day and receive them the next. The
store is Food for Thought and the number is 319-341-3354. The owners name is
Wendell. Tell him Kay from Waterloo  sent the message.

St. J's wort is often a tincture made with an alcohol such as vodka.
Vodka is distilled from gluten containing grains and therefore contaminated.
If you take St. J's in a capsule, it is probably gf.

Thank you,
Karen