Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 13:05:59 EDT

Since I have gotten already 8 requests for the information regarding the
association between CD and thyroid disease, I decided to post this information
to the list:

In support of the above statement regarding the association between the two
diseases, I offer the following list of such articles as just a sample of
the many that are out there.

1. Counsell et. al. " Coeliac disease and autoimmune thyroid disease"
   _Gut_1994; 35: 844-846
2. Collin, et. al. "Autoimmune thyroid disorders and coeliac disease"
   _European Journal of Endocrinology_ 1994; 130: 137-140.
3. Kumar, et. al. "Celiac Disease and Hypoparathyriodism: Cross-Reaction
   of Endomysial Antibodies with Parathyroid Tissue" _Clinical and
   Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology_ 1996; 3(2): 143-146

Here's a Medline abstract from the above list.

Coeliac disease and autoimmune thyroid disease, Gut, 1994, June, Vol 35,
Pg. 844-6. Counsell, et al.

A well defined cohort of coeliac patients was studied prospectively to
assess the prevalence of coexisting thyroid disease and positive thyroid
autoantibodies. Comparison with epidemiological data on the prevalence of
coeliac disease in a neighboring area suggested that few adult coeliac
patients had been missed. Overall, 14% of the coeliac patients had thyroid
disease: 10.3% were hypothyroid and 3.7% hyperthyroid, both significantly
more than expected. There were significantly more coeliac disease patients
with thyroid autoantibodies than expected--11% had thyroglobulin antibodies
and 15% had thyroid microsomal antibodies. This association is clinically
important. Three patients are described in whom the coexistence of coeliac
disease and hypothyroidism led to diagnostic difficulties and delay of
treatment.