From:
Abigail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 12:07:24 -0700

Ron Hoggan wrote:

". . . Volta et. al. have demonstrated that 36% to 48% of celiacs tested
were also intolerant to milk protein.  Borner et. al. have demonstrated
sequence homology, from the N-terminal, between casein and gliadin."

Since this many celiacs are likely to suffer from milk protein intolerance, I
would like to make the following comments regarding Pamela's Products.  I
completely trust Pamela at Pamela's Products Inc to keep her products gluten
free.  I have spoken with her about my concerns and have been thorough
satisified with her responses to my questions.  (As you know, I am not easily
satified, and have been refered to as overly fussy about the whole thing.)
Some people have mentioned that they have been having trouble with her
products.  Perhaps it is actually an undiagnosed milk protein intolerance
that is bothering some of these individuals rather than hidden gluten.  Only
one kind of cookie which Pamela makes is milk-free and even that one is
contaminated with milk during processing.  I put a call in yesturday to have
Pamela call me.  (She is out on maternity leave.)  I want to ask her to run
the milk-free cookies through the equipment first, before running other
cookies which contain milk.  I have spoken to her before regarding finding
nuts in nut-free cookies.  She now runs all cookies containing nuts last.
This may help some people who are sensitive to cow's milk protein to run the
milk-free cookies first.

According to Pamela, between cookie flavor runs, the equipment is only
scrapped clean-not washed.  After all runs, it is thoroughly washed, but not
until all runs are complete.  This is why although her Chunky Chocolate Chip
Cookies do not have milk as an ingredient, they have a symbol "D" in the
package signifying that they may be contaminated with milk.

I was having trouble with her cookies which contain milk.  It's a shame
because I love them, especially her Simply Chocolate Shortbread.  Now I am
eating the milk-free cookies only, and only in moderation.  I used to gulp
down a box of nine cookies containing milk per day!  No wonder I was putting
on weight and having bowel trouble besides.

Good luck to everyone.  Perhaps list members who are also milk free should
request that Pamela come up with more milk free cookies.  I was hoping for a
milk free Biscotti too.  I don't want her flooded with calls all at once.  I
am going to bring up the statistics about celiac milk intolerance to her
attention when I speak with her.  I think she needs to be aware that 36% -
48% of us may have a milk intolerance too.  It might come up with some
additional recipes if she knew there was a great need out there for
gluten-free/milk-free products.

Abigail

---
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/
Join the Monday night Celiac chats from 8PM - 10PM ET
and the celiac forum at: http://www.medsupport.org