From:
Jack and Connie O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 07:21:28 -0600

Please help,  has anyone else had any of these symptoms or problems?  In the
last six weeks I developed a very thick rash on the back of my knees,
similar to the look of a measle outbreak.  three days later it spread to the
top of my legs on the sides in front.  It hurt to wear clothes and it hurt
to sit in the tub in water of any temperature. I scratched until it bled.  I
tried benedryl which worked for two days, and then did not help anymore.
Finally I went to our local clinic and saw the Dr. on call who was more
interested in Celiac Disease than my wretched itching.  At any rate, he
prescribed an oral medication called Hydroxyzine.  The rash slowly went
away, ( I also used heavy coats of Eucerine cream on it.)  Relief at last.
Now, 2 weeks later, the rash is returning.  This is a first occurance for my
skin problem.  Does anyone know if this is gluten related?   Also, I have a
Dr. appointment coming up and because my bone scan results are on the lower
end of normal. I know he will want to perscribe hormones which I can not
tolerate in any form I have tried them all I think, and vitamin suppliments,
I personally feel a nutritionist who is knowledgeable of Celiac disease
should be able to help me with a diet where I can absorb  the vitamins I
need, with out overdosing on certain vitamins via tablets.  I presently eat
well balanced meals, but perhaps am not absorbing something?  Loads of lab
work was done at my last visit, and most everything comes out in the normal
range.  This does not help me when I must tell the Dr. that I go to work
every day and am exhaused when I come home.  Some days my brain is fuzzy and
I can not concentrate to do my reports.  The best I can describe how my
brain feels is that my head feels like it is full of sawdust rather that
active matter.  Third and last,  The dentist tried to make dentures for me.
I even went to the dental lab personally on three occasions, so the lab
people could try to fit the lower denture.  The dentist finally told me that
the bone in my lower jaw is so thin and sparse that thaey cannot make teeth
to fit snugly.  He did not charge me for any of his work.
So now we also have a person who has to drink juce. process foods in the
food processer, and chew like a dog.  Any ideas or comments? Thankyou in
advance. Does any of know of a nutritionist in the Mpls. St. Paul area or
even  anywhere in the midwest who is knowledgeable of the Celiac diet?