From:
"Marne L. Platt, VMD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 10:25:00 -0400

Hi all-I was at a conference in Saratoga Springs, NY this weekend, and have
3 things to pass on.

First, I was very disappointed by thye "adjustments" made for my diet by
the chef/staff of this supposedly very good resort (Gideon putnam Hotel).
At the BAnquet, I was given a ceasar salad with croutons, which required 2
requests to have removed. I had to notify my server twice that I was the
one with the"special meal" before my melon platter appetizer came, (after
everyone else's salad course has been removed) Then they gave me a
crabcake!!! when told that that was not acceptable, I got 3 shrimp tossed
on a plate (again, after everyone elses's course had been removed). My
steak was unseasoned (except for way too much pepper) and dry, plain
steamed veggies were overcooked, and I was not given a desssert. I
complained at checkout the next morning (this was not the sort of banquet
where I needed to make a scene) and am considering writing a letter of
complaint to the management. Other meals went similarly. Any ideas?

Second, the hotel's liason person for the conference told me she had been
diagnosed with celiac as a child, but had grown out of it (Mmm-hmmm!) She
is still verty thin and cannot gain weight. I talked to her about how you
don't outgrow this, but may be sub-clinical; don't know if I got through,
but she did photocopy me restaurant card.

Third, for the animal lovers: I spoke with a good friend and former
professor of mine who is a very respected veterinary gastroenterologist,
and is familiar with celiac. He confirmed for me that there have been no
cases of celiac in cats and that the only equivalent in dogs that has been
detected is an inherited gluten enteropathy in a line of Irish Setters.
Wheat allergy has been diagnosed on both species, but not celiac. So again.
please don't extrapolate from human conditions to your pets.

Just 3 tidbits--I'm enjoying being home and knowing that my food is safe.
Best wishes!-Marne in NJ

The impossible is merely that which has not yet been accomplished!