From:
Chris Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 21:26:43 PST

Dear Group Members,

I apologise for this slow response, delayed much due to moving house in
the heat of summer here. I received 8 responses to my question on the above.

In case you do not recall I posted a message questioning the GF Status
of Cadburys Rich Dark Chocloate, noting the list of ingredients are :
Sugar, Cocoa Mass, Cocoa Butter, Butter Oil, Emulsifier (322), Flavour,
Mau contain some traces of nuts.

As you all would be aware manufacturers have differing names for different
parts of the world.  An example is Kellogs which in the UK sell Rice Crispies
that we know here as Rice Bubbles.  I suspect Cadbury Rich Dark Chocolate is
the same as Cadbury's "Bournville" Chocolate in the UK.

One respondent was in South Australia who has just started up a GF sweet
manufacturing business (Kym Fettke, Managing Director, Memory Lane
Confectionery, www.confectionery.on.net)

Two respondents from UK checked on their GF Lists, a neat little yellow
book I recall, and advise Cadbury's Bournville is GF.

Mary, [log in to unmask] also could find no reference.  I think she would be
originating from USA.  Another respondent with an address through ...
@aol.com warned that flavour could have vanilla which may be from grain
sources.

Two Irish respondents wrote to me.  One advised that they are not recommended
 to eat many Cadbury chocolate bars because they are made in a factory which
 also makes biscuit-containing products.  Maybe that is where it has come to
 my notice to avoid this product.

Sharon Marcus, Israel asked if I had any after affects.  In fact at the time
of writing I hadn't started to eat but by the time the answers poured in I
had been overcome by the temptation living dangerously and no affects.
Must deal with this disadvantage in a more responsible fashion.

Regards
Chris Pearson
Sydney, Australia.
tel +61-(0)2-4733-8547