Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 16:07:21 -0500
From:
Mary Jordan <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks to this wonderful list!!  Here is my summary on the turkeys.  I am
sorry that it has taken such a long time.  I have gotten a fair amount of
another! I hope this helps!

Perdue fresh turkeys are GF (4 responses)
Butterball -fresh turkeys    (2) (but not the gravy packets!!)
     With regards to Butterball, another person responded:
      I just spoke to the Butterball Turkey consumers affairs office, which
assured me there is no gluten in the turkey itself (i.e., not in the basting
sauce), but there is gluten in the gravy packet.

Other fresh turkeys  or "minimally processed" or "natural" that are GF :
   Lancaster brand turkey (1 from NJ)
   Shady Brook (1 other response from NJ).
There is also:
   Empire Products (1 response- The brand that I know of is
    Empire Products.  They are a kosher company and state all of
    their products are GF except the obvious, such as coated chicken fingers
etc.
   Also from NJ:  Norbest and Jennie-O  (except the gravy packet) and The
Turkey Store.
    Manor House from Safeway (1 response)

Honeysuckle :  I had heard that Honeysuckle White was ok. I heard from 1
person :   got a Honeysuckle White Turkey about a month ago and there was no
indication on the label that it contained any "contaminants" with gluten. I
had no reaction to it and plan to have that kind on Thanksgiving

   (I have used Honeysuckle White turkeys and turkey breasts with no problems
for my sons.)

  However, I did get this response:
    I have eaten the Honeysuckle Turkey in the BLUE (and white) WRAPPER.  It
says on the bottom NO MSG, NO GLUTEN.  Honeysuckle has two kinds of Turkey...
 one with red & white (don't eat this one) wrapper and one with the blue &
white.  I'm already hunting the "Blue" one.  They are very good...  I have
spent LOTS of $$ on "home grown" and this is just as good.   We are in Rio
Rancho, NM....  I have seen Honeysuckle in Jewel
Osco, and Smith's  grocery stores so far.

   Another person sent me this:  According to a newsletter I have in my file
from the Gluten Intolerance Group of NA, the Honeysuckle White basted turkeys
have a hydrolyzed vegetable protein from corn and soy, and the flavoring in
the basting solution is a spice extract and does not have a grain alcohol
base.  Also, the conveyor belts used do not have flour on them.

    Also with respect to Honeysuckle one person sent me this list:
     according to my commercial listing book honey suckle has the  following
gf:
    100% ground  grund breast   stew meat  tenderloins thighs
    and wings
    scallopini
    breast halves
    chops
    drumsticks
    mr. turkey   oscar mayer(turkey breast)  perdue( fresh turkey) are other
brands in the book that are gf.

And finally some additional responses :
   I read your post about turkey, and I have been warned about no using any
processed or injected meat products.  They never list what they are  injected
with and the companies are not good about telling you.  I always use fresh
unprocessed  organic meats and poultry.
   I read your post about turkey, and I have been warned about no using any
processed or injected meat products.  They never list what they are injected
with and the companies are not good about telling you.  I alway use fresh
unprocessed  organic meats and poultry.

I hope this helps some of you.!!!  I really appreciate all your help and
information.  Happy Thanksgiving and Holiday Season!
Mary,  [log in to unmask]