VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 21:14:20 -0500
Helllo everybody,

I posted the article to demonstrate that in general, computers are
commodities and one particular brand may not be so special compared to
another.  At the same time, as the guy who wrote the big article earlier
this year on how to choose assistive technology, it is important to
consider other factors in addition to price when buying a new computer.
Blind people compute differently than the mainstream and we have
different needs.  Also, buying a computer from someone familiar with the
needs of the blind can help tremendously in choosing the right
periferals, such as modems and video cards as well has in set up and
installation of access software and devices.  Below is a  dialogue
between me me and another list member on this important topic.

kelly

Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 08:33:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Scranton Computer Shop <[log in to unmask]>

All of the points that you mention are true.  Also such things as using
video cards compatable with JFw for example L would mean nothing t those
manufacturers.  Window Eyes has trouble with the version of Windows 95
that Compaq provides for example.  As far as price, in most cases, prices
for a custom built are cheaper, or one would get better uality for the
same price, such as the larger power supply more expansion slots, achoice
of the number of isa versus PCI slots et cettera.  Just yesterday I quoted
a price and told the customer to check Circuit City and other local stores
to see what they were offering.  He came back, saying that most were
higher, and that some salespeople lied to him about features and brands of
components and the like.  He said that he would rather buy from somebody
who knew what they were talking about and who could supply exactly what he
wanted instead of just finding something that came close.

I guess that especially for the blind it makes sense to buy from a blind
builder who knows what is needed, especially when the price is the same or
lower.