From:
Brian Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 08:35:30 -0500
on Mon Nov 10 12:07:19 1997, Karl Alexis McKinnon writes:

>         So, I got this bench and I got this book.  The book says to use
> free weights, but my bench has a lone lever.  I am currently using this
> L-shaped lever for calf curles, instead of gripping a dumbell between my
> feet.
>         My question to all your beefcake hunks is: should I increase to
> weight to compensate for the fact that the weight is no longer "free."  I
> am also considering getting the next more "delux" modle that has two
> levers on the side, so that I can target my pectorals more specifically in
> my pectoral exercizes.

Check out the hardgainer FAQ.  IMHO the best place to start.
http://web.bilkent.edu.tr/Online/FAQ/tmp/body-building/hardgainer-faq/faq.html

Also the misc.fitness.weights FAQ.
http://www.imp.mtu.edu/~babucher/mfwfaq.html

I use excercises like squats and stiff-leg deadlifts to work my hamstrings
and quadriceps, and heel-raises to work my calves.

>         If anyone here can answer me, you've saved me as much as $25 for
> asking a personal trainer.  I can then use the saved monney to avoid
> asking him the other question about what to do for my abs and get one of
> those triangular ab-thingies.

I like to do hanging knee raises, crunches, and leg-rolls for my abs.
To do leg-rolls, lie on the floor with your legs together and
perpendicular to your torso and both shoulders touching the ground.  Then
arc your legs up in the air (perpendicular the whole time) and bring them
down on the other side.  Keep going back and forth.

See the Abdominal Training FAQ.  http://www.dstc.edu.au/TU/staff/timbomb/ab/
Save yourself another $25 by reading question 13.

Q13: Does the XXX ab machine/gadget work?

There are several types of abdominal machine provided in gyms and many more
plastic varieties available in stores and via mail order. These things
mostly are not much better than doing the ab exercises listed in this FAQ,
many of them are significantly worse.

--
Brian Glass | [log in to unmask] | http://www.andrews.edu/~glass | 313-995-9022
What is the use of straining after an amiable view of things, when a