VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ren Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 11:55:26 -0500
Hi All:

The special assistance that we need can only enable us to make the same
achievement that the other sighted people can make, but not asking our
society low down the certain requirements in order to let us to achieve
some bogus success. For example, when we use sythensisor to do computer
programming in a company, the special service we get such as synthesisor
is to enable us to work on the same project with a group of sighted
people; the boss also expects us to do the same work as the others doing
since we get same payment.  If we keep asking for some so called
"necessary help" by lowering down the requirement, then we would behave
just like a begger asking money on the street when we demand for equality
in our society.  So we definitely can not obtain a real respect from the
sighted people.  Then what does the equality mean?

Therefore, when we ask for some help from the sighted around us, we have
to be very careful and not give them an impression that blind persons are
really disabled.  I believe we can do it since no sighted person would ask
us to drive bus.

Ren Wang