From:
Allan Lauchlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 16:38:46 EST
Hello

I have been lurking here for about a month, hoping to learn as much as
possible.  I was quite excited to find other people who are also eating such
an 'unusual diet'.  How many people are practicing this kind of diet?

First, Congradulations to Ray, on his book deal.

I first found out about NeanderThin, on another list, the Tom Brown Trackers
list.  I went to a bookstore and had to order the book.

Since then, a number of other texts have made their appearance to me, and in
general the low carb diet stuff makes sense to me.

I'm not sure about the alien protien theory, but the rest of Ray's view, our
orgins, neotiny, et al, make pretty good sense from what I have learned.

I had been flirting with the diet off and on for about a year, and finally
jumped into it.  It has been a month now.  Well, it's more low carb than
strict Neanderthin at the moment, I have been eating meat, nuts, leafy
vegetable, all day, then at the end of the day, I have been reducing the
amount of carbos serving that I take in during the family meal.  For the most
part, better than 95% of grains, potatoes has been cut out.  I have cut all
dairy, except occasional string cheese, and Ice Cream is difficult&

I seem to be one of the lucky ones, without any known health problems, so the
experiment is more interesting than desperate.

I have noticed that a slight 'ache' in my finger joints (I'm over 40) has gone
away -completely- after about a week and a half, I havn't experienced any
heartburn since I have gone onto this diet, ( it was becoming a regular
occurance most afternoons, peanut butter sandwich for lunch), and my energy,
has increased, over where it was the first of the month.  (I have a fairly
good reference guide, as I am taking a martial arts class once a week, and the
workout, while it varies, over a month's time is pretty constant.  I stopped
hitting 'the wall' physically, after a certain point, and recovery after a
peak exertion seems to be getting faster.  I seem to note a general feeling of
'wellness', over what I recall just a month ago, and headaches (stress
related) have drastically diminshed.  Perhaps I have indicated some threshold
changes that I have terminated, and some may have nothing at all to do with my
diet experiment.

Finding fat, to make pemmican, is proving difficult so far.  I have called
several meat markets, and meat sections of grocery stores, and they don't keep
trimmed beef fat around.

Chinese restaruants seem to be a good source for a meat only meal, they all
have barbecue pork, and Teriaki chicken (LIGHT on the sauce).

Has anyone used sprouts, wheat in the wheat grass state, or those kinds of
foods?  How paleo, or how healthy are they?

Long term food storage seems to be more of a problem on this kind of diet,
than on a neolithic or SAD type of diet.

Till next time&

Allan Lauchlan