From:
"Aaron D. Wieland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 20:11:37 -0400
This is a little off-topic, but I recently bought a copy of "Native TIme: A
Historical Time Line of Native America."  I was intrigued by the following
entry:

<<Opechancanough (Powhatan), great leader of the Powhatan Confederacy and
almost one hundred years old, leads an attack against the English.  He is
captured and dragged before royal Governor Sir William Berkeley.  An angry
guard shoots and kills Opechancanough  while he is in prison.>>

This event occurred in 1644.  (Some extra context: Opechancanough assumed
power in 1618; he initiated a nine-year war with the English in 1622, when
he was a youthful 88 year-old.)  Nowadays, you would be hard-pressed to find
a health professional who would recommend that a centenarian use a
Stair-Master (TM), let alone lead an attack against the English as a means
of staying fit.

Cheers,

-- Aaron Wieland