From:
Jacki Harmon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 14:00:41 -0800
Hi everyone,
  I have a couple questions for you regarding the Paleo diet.  First,
we've read Neanderthin, and have been following it religiously for about
10 days now.  I haven't had any wheat for 2 months, and absolutely no
grains, dairy, any forbidden fruit, for the past ten days, mainly eating
meats, homemade jerky, nuts, pemmican (as of today), and very few carbs
of any kind (very little fruit, some vegetables, carrots, asparagus,
spinach usually at lunch and dinner - mostly raw).  I haven't lost a
pound, and I'm not all that hungry ever.  Is there something I'm not
doing??  I'm not all that much overweight, but I could lose 10 - 15
pounds.
When does the hunger usually kick in?

  My other question is about my three year old.  Does anyone have any
experience with this diet with young children.  I'm not worried about it
being good for her, in fact we've been hem-hawing around about not giving
her grains since she was born, but did succumb.  I breast fed her until
this past January, and she's never had cow's milk, and except for a
little yogurt and butter not much other dairy.  The first three days of
eating the paleo way were hell for her.  She acted like a heroine addict
in withdrawal.  Which further confirmed to us just how awful grains can
be.  She's much better now, hasn't asked for toast, or pancakes (I made
them from quinoa or amaranth) for several days. I had to improvise at one
point in the beginning and I made her a "pancake" by grinding up some
walnuts, almonds, apples, dates, dried apricots, a little flax oil and
she thought it was pretty good after the initial coaxing to take the
first bite...now that's what she calls pancakes.  I vary the dried fruit
sometimes.  We call dried papaya "candy" now, and that seems to suffice.
What I'm having a bit of a hard time with is what do I do when we go to
birthday parties, or when mothers bring in "poison" treats to her gym,
and creative kids classes, etc.?  I usually bring our own food with us,
and treats for her (I make fruit leather in our dehydrator), but when she
gets a bit older and I'm not around as much, then what?   She'll still go
for a cookie, or cake, etc., and I have to run some interference.  I know
if you make too much of a big deal about food with kids, they really seem
to want the forbidden foods even more so.  Hopefully, she'll be well into
this and the crud won't tempt her...  If anyone has any experience here,
I'd like to hear from you!
Thanks,
Jacki